However, even the best content ever needs to be consumable. And, by that, I mean scannable. Forget everything you learned in school. Well, not everything…nouns and verbs are useful. But there is no need for long, involved paragraphs. No one’s got time for that.
Not All Content is Created Equal; Make it Scannable — or Don’t Bother
- Fall in love with bullet points
- Use short sentences and paragraphs
- Don’t be afraid to use bold, but be judicious
- Add links for credibility! Like this one.
- Add headings to break up the dull grey text.
- While you’re at it, all images to keep the conversation lively.
One last note…
This is less about scannability and more about readability. Make your content interesting. Make it FUN! Whether you are writing it or are hiring a copywriter, run it through your own BS meter; give it a good read through. Would you read this copy if you found it online? Does it help or hinder someone’s interest in connecting with you?
Simply put, if they are not reading it (at least some of it that catch their eye) what is the possible point of having words on the page at all?